Best Keto Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese is one of the most simple things ever. This Grilled cheese with cauliflower bread is a delicious low carb, keto-friendly lunch. Cauliflower grilled cheese for the win! Grilled cheese with cauliflower… bread? Let’s put “bread” in quotation marks, yes? I know this isn’t bread but this just tastes so so so good!
Riced cauliflower can be used to make bread slices for low carb grilled cheese sandwiches. And, they are cheesy comfort food that’s simple to make. This is a great low carb solution that still allows you to enjoy a comforting grilled cheese sandwich.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases for my referral at no extra cost to you! See Disclosure
Keto Grilled Cheese Recipe:
For Cauliflower crust “bread” slices:
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 1 free-range organic egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr shredded mozzarella cheese or Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ Italian herb seasoning
For Grilled cheese:
- 2thick slices of white cheddar cheese or shredded cheddar cheese, I use this
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until crumbs about half the size of a grain of rice.
- Place cauliflower into large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Your cauliflower should be soft and tender.
- Stir cauliflower to mix up the bottom and top cauliflower. Place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove and stir again so that all the cauliflower cooks evenly. Place back into the microwave and cook for 5 minutes. At this point, you should see the cauliflower is starting to become drier. Microwave for another 5 minutes. Cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch but should look dry and clumped up.
- In a medium bowl, combine processed cauliflower, eggs, Parmesan and oregano. Mix until evenly combined then season with salt and pepper. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Place onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices about 1/2 inch thick. Bake cauliflower bread for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Using a good spatula, carefully slide cauliflower bread off of parchment paper. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. Make 2 cauliflower sandwiches by adding two slices of cheese in between each pair of bread slices. Place sandwiches into a toaster oven and broil for several minutes (5-10) until cheese is completely melted and bread is toasty. If you don’t own a toaster oven, you can also do this in the oven under the broiler.
- You can also make them in skillet. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray then scoop the cauliflower mixture into a small patty on one side of the pan. Repeat to form a second patty on the other side. (These are your “bread” slices.) Press down on both pieces with a spatula and cook until golden underneath, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden, about 3 minutes more.
- Top one cauliflower slice with cheese then place the other cauliflower slice on top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more per side. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Per Serving (1 sandwich): Calories 326; Total Fat 19g; Sodium 673mg; Potassium 948mg; Total Carbohydrates 16g; Dietary Fiber 6g; Sugars 5g; Protein 24g;
If you like this recipe share it with your friends and (..of course..) pin it for later. 🙂