Trying to lose those flabby ‘bat wings’? Even some of the most active, nutritionally dedicated individuals experience fat in this region, which is stubborn and seemingly everlasting. Women, especially, can have a hard time with this area due to breast tissue in this region.
You can achieve more toned and shapely arms, but you will have to work for it. Read on to find out what causes arm fat and more importantly, learn how to lose it.
Arm fat is much more common in woman than in men. This is simply due to the fact that men typically do more heavy lifting than women and have more developed muscle instead of fat.
If your underarms are not properly toned, you are much more likely to have extra fat and skin.
What To Eat
Nutrition is just as important to fat loss as exercise is. First, if you’re trying to shed pounds in general, you should aim to take in fewer calories than you’re expending overall (not just via exercise).
This varies on an individual level, of the calories you are taking in, group them according to macronutrients: carbohydrates, proteins, and fat.
- Keep your meals balanced. That means, make sure you eat a serving of unprocessed, whole carbohydrates, healthy fat, and lean protein with every meal.
- No precise measuring is necessary. Just keep portions sensible and pay attention to when you’re full. Eating more slowly, and not cleaning your plate if you’re not hungry will help your mind get more in tune with your stomach.
- Drink water with your meals. It will make you feel fuller with less food in your stomach.
- Limit sugar.
- Eat minimally processed foods. Load up on fresh, whole foods like vegetables and lean proteins.
We suggest allotting about half of your daily calories to carbohydrates, such as whole-grain pasta and veggies like potatoes, corn, and peas. Another 20 to 30 percent should be made up of protein-rich foods such as chicken, eggs, spinach, and beans. And the remaining 20 to 30 percent goes towards fat-yes, fat. Opt for healthy sources, such as nuts and olive oil, says Simmons. And don’t overdo it on that avocado: One gram of fat contains nine calories, more than carbs and proteins at four calories per gram.
Muscle Burns More Fat
The reasoning behind weightlifting to lose armpit fat is simple: When there is more muscle, more energy is used and more calories are burned.
Thus, increasing your muscle mass will help you achieve your fitness goals if you look to increase the density – not size – of the muscles in that area. You can’t choose where your body loses fat, but you can encourage your body to appear more toned in a given area through resistance training.
As your body changes, you will likely notice that while lean mass burns more energy, it takes up less space. If you are doing the heavy lifting to increase total mass, your dress and pant sizes may shrink, while the scale may go up.
Don’t allow yourself to get fixated on what the scale reads, for this reason. Pay attention to the energy you gain and how rejuvenated you feel as you shed the fat pounds. That feeling alone will make your commitment to the process worth it.
Some people that are at a healthy weight still have lots of underarm fat. Exercise, including cardio and muscle toning exercises, will give you results that you are looking for.
Exercise is also required for individuals who are dieting to lose underarm fat as well to ensure that your skin retracts faster and your muscles remain toned.
You will have to do at least several exercises to remove your underarm fat.
Whenever you want to lose any fat, you must do cardio. Otherwise, you’ll just lose muscle on any weight loss program. Cardio helps you burn calories and burn fat faster.
Diet alone cannot help you lose much underarm fat if any at all. Diet, compared with cardio and muscle toning exercises will give you the best results.
Pushups are an excellent, simple, tried-and-true exercise that can be done pretty much anywhere.
Equipment needed: none
Muscles worked: Pushups will work your shoulders, chest, and upper back.
- Start in a plank position, with your body horizontal, being held up with your toes and palms.
- In a controlled motion, bend your elbows and lower yourself down to the ground so that your chest touches.
- Promptly drive your weight down through your hands to push your body back up into a plank position.
- This completes 1 repetition.
- Perform 3 sets of 10 pushups.
- This move can be done from your knees to decrease the difficulty.
Take It to the Next Level
If you can do 10 pushups on your toes easily, consider increasing the challenge.
- Start in a plank position, but with your feet elevated on an object like a bench.
- Perform the pushup the same as previously described.
- Perform 3 sets of 5.
Plank Shoulder Taps
Plank shoulder taps are an excellent exercise to tone the armpit area while you work on your core stability and balance.
Equipment needed: none
Muscles worked: Plank shoulder taps target your shoulders, chest, and abdominals.
- Start in a plank position (similar to beginning a pushup). Hold your body up with your toes and your palms, keeping your body parallel to the ground.
- While keeping a strong core, pick up your right hand and tap your left shoulder with your fingertips.
- Bring your right palm back to the ground, and perform the same motion with your left arm.
- Alternate tapping each shoulder while maintaining the plank position.
- Perform 3 sets of 30 taps (15 on each arm).